- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (about 3-1/2 pounds), quartered and skin removed
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 to 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a slow cooker, combine the first five ingredients; top with chicken. Pour orange juice over chicken and sprinkle with orange peel. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat juices run clear. Remove chicken; debone and cut up the meat. Set aside and keep warm. Combine butter and flour until smooth; add to slow cooker. Cook on high until thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir in chicken and brown sugar; heat through. Serve over noodles. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews forFruity Cranberry Chicken
"This was ok. I only used 1 Tbsp. flour, and it still thickened nicely. And I only used about 1 tsp. brown sugar because the dish was already so sweet from the o.j. The cranberries were mush by the end of the cooking time; it did not look like the picture. I think it would be better with boneless chicken, a shorter cooking time, and less sugar and/or some vinegar to counter the sweetness."
"We found the dish dissapointing. It did not have enough cranberry flavor."
"very good, I think I will add some chopped apples in it next time"