Fruity Cranberry Chicken
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5-1/4 hours
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (about 3-1/2 pounds), quartered and skin removed
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 to 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first five ingredients; top with chicken. Pour orange juice over chicken and sprinkle with orange zest. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken juices run clear.
- Remove chicken. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- Combine butter and flour until smooth; stir into slow cooker. Cook on high until thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir in chicken and brown sugar; heat through. Serve with noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 403 calories, 22g fat (8g saturated fat), 117mg cholesterol, 345mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 33g protein.
Oct 7, 2011
This was ok. I only used 1 Tbsp. flour, and it still thickened nicely. And I only used about 1 tsp. brown sugar because the dish was already so sweet from the o.j. The cranberries were mush by the end of the cooking time; it did not look like the picture. I think it would be better with boneless chicken, a shorter cooking time, and less sugar and/or some vinegar to counter the sweetness.
Feb 24, 2011
We found the dish dissapointing. It did not have enough cranberry flavor.
Feb 12, 2010
very good, I think I will add some chopped apples in it next time
Jun 8, 2008
I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I just cut them into chunks before I put them in the slow cooker. I was very easy.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.