Fruity Cranberry Chicken
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5-1/4 hours
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (about 3-1/2 pounds), quartered and skin removed
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 to 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first five ingredients; top with chicken. Pour orange juice over chicken and sprinkle with orange zest. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken juices run clear.
- Remove chicken. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- Combine butter and flour until smooth; stir into slow cooker. Cook on high until thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir in chicken and brown sugar; heat through. Serve with noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 403 calories, 22g fat (8g saturated fat), 117mg cholesterol, 345mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 33g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 7, 2011
This was ok. I only used 1 Tbsp. flour, and it still thickened nicely. And I only used about 1 tsp. brown sugar because the dish was already so sweet from the o.j. The cranberries were mush by the end of the cooking time; it did not look like the picture. I think it would be better with boneless chicken, a shorter cooking time, and less sugar and/or some vinegar to counter the sweetness.
Feb 24, 2011
We found the dish dissapointing. It did not have enough cranberry flavor.
Feb 12, 2010
very good, I think I will add some chopped apples in it next time
Jun 8, 2008
I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I just cut them into chunks before I put them in the slow cooker. I was very easy.