Fruity Coconut Cake Roll
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup cold fat-free milk
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant white chocolate pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 medium kiwifruit, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 2 tablespoons apricot spreadable fruit
- 1/2 teaspoon hot water
- Line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; coat the paper with cooking spray and set aside. Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Spread evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 16-20 minutes or until golden brown. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with 1/2 teaspoon confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Dust with remaining confectioners' sugar. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Stir in 1 cup whipped topping. Fold in remaining whipped topping; stir in extract.
- Unroll cake; spread with filling to within 1 in. of edges. Arrange kiwi and strawberries over filling. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup coconut. Roll up again. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Toast the remaining coconut. In a small bowl, whisk spreadable fruit and water until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with toasted coconut. Cut into slices. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 233 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 378mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 14, 2012
This was delicious. I served at a wine and cheese gathering and everyone loved it. I will definitely make it again. It was easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time. I did add extra milk to the pudding since I had difficulty mixing it.
Jun 22, 2012
This was okay. I think it would be better if made with regular sponge cake.
Jun 14, 2012
So good, a dessert I don't feel (too) guilty eating! Also made it with extra strawberries, no kiwi, substituted sliced almonds/almond extract for the coconut. Going to make it for July 4th substituting blueberries for the kiwi.
Jun 14, 2012
After thinking about the size of a "roll" this recipe would make, I just used about 2/3 of the batter and it made a "regular" size roll. Really delicious, too!
Sep 26, 2010
...omitted kiwi and increased strawberries due to 'on-hand' produce. Also, put toasted coconut on top only. A larger jelly roll pan might work better - I cut the finished roll down the middle lengthwise due to fat cake syndrome. ..still got rave reviews and requests for the recipe.