Fruity Acorn Squash
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 small acorn squash (about 1-1/4 pounds)
- 1 mediumt tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Cut acorn squash in half lengthwise; remove and discard seeds and membranes. Place squash cut side down in a greased 11x7-in. microwave-safe dish. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 4-6 minutes or until almost tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the apple, celery, raisins, brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice. Turn squash over; fill centers with apple mixture. Cover and microwave 3-4 minutes longer or until squash and apple filling are tender.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 201 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 25mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 6g fiber), 3g protein.
Oct 14, 2014
amazing treat! I didn't have raisins on hand so I used dried blueberries instead. I will make this again when I pick up some raisins. can't wait :)
Oct 12, 2014
I made this in the oven and it was really good. I did put some butter in the halves at the beginning then later I added the apple, celery, raisins and spices about halfway through. Nice mixture of flavour and texture.
Sep 29, 2014
Also used cranberries for a fall presentation.
Mar 17, 2014
Delicious! This recipe was a good way to use up a couple lone apples. Will definitely be making this one again.
Oct 15, 2010
I used pears instead of apples and dried cranberries instead of raisins. everyone loved the squash. the celery was a taste treat!
Oct 22, 2009
I didn't have any raisins but followed the rest of the recipe. Will try raisins the next time I make this.