Fruited Wild Rice Pilaf
Crunchy apples and pecans give traditional wild rice a tasty twist. This dish pairs well with a variety of meaty entrees. —Becky Burch, Marceline, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 cups hot water
- 3/4 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 small apple, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Stir in the water, rice and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-55 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from the heat; fold in apple, pecans and lemon peel if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 231 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 386mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Fruited Wild Rice Pilaf in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.