Fruited Macaroni Salad
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 20 min. + chilling
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup whipped topping
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Drain juice from oranges and pineapple into a 1-cup measuring cup; cover and refrigerate fruit. Add enough water to the juice, if needed, to measure 1 cup; stir into the sugar mixture until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- In a bowl, combine the macaroni and cooked dressing. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Just before serving, fold in whipped topping and reserved oranges and pineapple. Sprinkle with pecans.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 177 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 29mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 27, 2013
I didn't like this at all. Had a funny flavor and just didn't taste good at all.
Jul 17, 2012
This is a very tasty salad on the lighter side. It was a hit on 4th of July!