Fruited Cranberry Gelatin
"A neighbor gave my mom this recipe, and it's become an annual favorite during the holidays," relates field editor Linda Fox of Soldotna, Alaska.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 package (6 ounces) cranberry or raspberry gelatin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 package (12 ounces) cranberries
- 3 medium unpeeled green apples, cut into wedges
- 1 medium navel orange, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin and sugar in boiling water. In a blender or food processor, process the cranberries until coarsely chopped; add to gelatin mixture. Repeat with apples and orange. Stir in celery, pecans, water, vinegar, orange zest, lemon juice and salt. Pour into a 13x9-in. dish or a 2-1/2-qt. bowl. Chill until set, about 3 hours.
- Whisk mayonnaise and orange juice; serve with the salad.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 221 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 161mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Fruited Cranberry Gelatin in Taste of Home December/January 1999