Fruited Bran Muffins
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups All-Bran
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk, banana, molasses and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apple and blueberries.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill three-fourths full with batter. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 160 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 3, 2010
I made theses a few weeks ago for a meeting at work and everyone loved them! I used whole wheat pastry flour to help them rise a little better and fiber one cereal instead of all bran. They turned out great! I will definitely will be making these again!
Mar 13, 2010
I've made this recipe three times in the last week. My family can't get enough of them. I was shocked that even my 6 year-old picky eater likes them.
Feb 21, 2010
Although these were fairly tasty, the muffins didn't rise much, if at all. Maybe the lack of salt is to blame? I did like the combo of apples, bananas and blueberries.
Feb 18, 2010
I have made this recipe 3 times in the last two weeks. Everyone loves them, even the picky 8 year old.Mary Ann DavisEdmonds, WA
Jan 28, 2010
I love this recipe. It is healthy and delicious.And very satisfying. I will make this one again and again.Ann CashArkansas.