Fruitcake Bran Muffins
"We've been trying to get more fiber in our diet, but we don't like the cardboard taste of regular bran muffins," explains Norene Stead of Salt Lake City, Utah. "So I jazzed these up and now they taste almost like Christmas fruitcake!"
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups All-Bran
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped red and green candied cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped candied pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped citron
- In a bowl, combine the bran, milk and oil; let stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in eggs and bran mixture. Fold in the cherries, pineapple and citron. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 196 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 186mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Fruitcake Bran Muffins in Quick Cooking November/December 2001