Fruit with Yogurt Sauce
This citrus and spice sauce for fresh fruit is such a success that I had to share the recipe. It's terrific alongside fruit kabobs or tossed into a medley. —Diane Hixon, Niceville, Florida
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 cup lemon yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 large firm bananas, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 medium cantaloupe, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 3 cups seeded cubed watermelon
- Place the water and raisins in a small bowl; let stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the yogurt, ginger, allspice and cardamom. Drain raisins; stir into yogurt mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Toss bananas in lemon juice. Alternately thread fruit on wooden skewers or place in a serving bowl. Serve with yogurt sauce.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 170 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 47mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fruit, 1 starch.
Originally published as Fruit with Yogurt Sauce in Quick Cooking July/August 2001