Fruit ‘n’ Nut Spice Bars
I'm always looking for new dessert recipes, and this one combines several of my favorite flavors.
- 3/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup miniature chocolate chips
- 1-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a small bowl, toss cherries with 1/4 cup flour; set aside. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and honey. Combine the baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining flour; add to creamed mixture. Stir in nuts, chocolate chips and reserved cherries.
- 2. Spread into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth; drizzle over warm bars. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
1 each: 135 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 102mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Oct 25, 2011
The combination of flavors in this recipe rates hight in our household. I wouldn't change a thing.
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC