Fruit ‘n’ Nut Salad
MY MOTHER-IN-LAW created this recipe using leftover fruit from holiday baking. It tasted so good that it became standard fare every time we had ham or turkey. It's a perfect side dish for those entrees. For color and a touch of sweetness, I sometimes add miniature marshmallows. -Willie Mae Philen, Mexia, Alabama
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 medium apples, chopped
- 2 medium oranges, sectioned and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, oranges, raisins, cherries and pecans. Combine mayonnaise, sugar and lemon juice; mix well. Add to fruit mixture and stir to coat. Chill. Just before serving, stir in bananas.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 279 calories, 19g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 76mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Fruit 'n' Nut Salad in Reminisce March/April 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.