Fruit ‘n’ Nut Loaf
I enjoy all kinds of cooking, but I especially like baking delicious breads like this! It's chock-full of good things like apricots, almonds and bananas.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makes2 loaves (14 slices each)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 1/3 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted almonds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
- In a large bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients. In another bowl, beat the egg substitute, juice, oil, molasses and bananas; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour into two 8x4-in. loaf pans that have been coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 1 hour or until bread tests done. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 158 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Fruit 'n' Nut Loaf in Country Woman November/December 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.