Fruit ‘n’ Nut Cherry Pie
It's a pleasure to serve this festive ruby-colored pie, which tastes as good as it looks! The filling is an irresistible combination of fruits and nuts. Topped with a bit of whipped cream, a lovely slice of this pie is a cool refreshing end to an enjoyable meal. -Ruth Andrewson, Leavenworth, Washington
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- 4 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 2 pastry shells (9 inches), baked
- Whipped cream
- In a saucepan, combine pie filling, pineapple, sugar, cornstarch and food coloring if desired; mix well. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Cool. Fold in bananas and nuts. Pour into pie shells. Chill for 2-3 hours. Garnish with whipped cream. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 281 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Fruit 'n' Nut Cherry Pie in Taste of Home October/November 1994