Fruit-Glazed Roast Chicken
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour 40 min. + standing
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 to 3-1/2 pounds each)
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup dried apricots
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) pear halves, drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) peach halves, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) apricot halves, drained
- 1 cup pitted dried plums
- Lemon leaves, optional
- Place four lemon quarters in body cavity of each chicken. Skewer chicken openings; tie drumsticks together. Place chickens, breast side up, on a rack in a large roasting pan; bake at 375° for 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the broth, vinegar, lemon juice, apricots, brown sugar, raisins, ginger and salt. Process until smooth; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, for 7 minutes or until thickened. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the pears, peaches, apricots and prunes; pour hot syrup over fruit. Let stand 10 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Remove chickens from oven; spread with apricot mixture. Return to the oven for 10-15 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before carving.
- Thicken pan drippings for gravy if desired. Place chickens on serving platter; spoon fruit mixture around chickens. Garnish with lemon leaves if desired. Serve with gravy if desired.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 3, 2009
I made this tonight for my family and it was a big hit!!! My husband is not crazy about chicken so he was sceptical about how I was going to "mask" the chickeny flavor; but I really WOW'ed him! Thanks so much!