- 1-1/4 cups warm water (70° to 80°)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/4 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-3/4 cups plus 3 tablespoons bread flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 can (12 ounces) apricot or raspberry pastry filling*
- Additional butter or margarine, melted
- In bread machine pan, place the first 11 ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). When the cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Pat or roll into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Cover with plastic wrap; let rest for 10 minutes. Cut dough into 24 squares. Place a heaping teaspoonful of pastry filling in the center of each square. Overlap tow opposite corners of dough over filling; pinch tightly to seal. Place at least 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 425° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from the oven; brush with butter. Remove to paper towels to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forFruit-Filled Kolaches
"I've been searching for a kolache recipe that could be mixed in my bread machine. I made them in the traditional shape (round) and didn't brush with butter. I did make a light glaze to drizzle over the top. Very good."