In Grand Valley, Ontario, Wendy Masters keeps this sweet mixture on hand to use as a time-saving topping for many desserts. Sprinkle over muffins or pies, or use it to create this quick fruit crisp with convenient canned pie filling.
Recommended: 16 Favorite Recipes for Fruit Pizza
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 cups quick-cooking oats
- 5 cups packed brown sugar
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling or pie filling of your choice
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Combine the first seven ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year. Yield: 13 batches (13 cups total).
- To prepare fruit crisp: Place pie filling in an 8-in. square baking dish. Cut butter into 1 cup topping mix until crumbly; sprinkle over fruit. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm with ice cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings per batch.
Originally published as Fruit Crisp Topping Mix in Quick Cooking September/October 1999, p51
Reviews forFruit Crisp Topping Mix
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 31, 2010
Reviewed Jan. 24, 2010
"Love this stuff. It save me a lot of time. It tastes great. My husband and son ask for it all the time."