"This is one of the first desserts I learned to make in the slow cooker, and it's the one guests still enjoy most," comments Laura Bryant German of West Warren, Massachusetts. "It tastes like it came from a fancy restaurant."
Recommended: Summer Fruit Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled
- 2 medium fresh peaches, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1-1/4 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 lemon slices (1/4 inch)
- 1 cinnamon stick (3-1/2 inches)
- 1 medium firm banana, thinly sliced
- Whipped cream, sliced almonds and maraschino cherries, optional
- Cut apples into 1/4-in. slices and then in half; place in a slow cooker. Add the peaches, pineapple, pineapple juice, honey, lemon and cinnamon. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours. Just before serving, stir in banana slices. serve with a slotted spoon if desired. Garnish with whipped cream, almonds and cherries if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Fruit Compote Dessert in Quick Cooking July/August 1999, p45