Fruit Cocktail Cake with Butter Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) fruit cocktail, undrained
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk or half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, nuts, raisins, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In a small bowl, beat egg; add fruit cocktail. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour into a greased and floured 8-in. round baking pan. Bake at 325° for 55-60 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. For sauce, combine sugar, butter and milk in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Serve warm over the cake. Refrigerate leftover sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
1 piece: 642 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 616mg sodium, 104g carbohydrate (73g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Reviews for Fruit Cocktail Cake with Butter Sauce
"My favorite since a child. Make sauce with sweetened condensed milk like my mother made~watching carefully as it will boil over or burn quickly. Poke wholes in cake while hot and pour sauce over and in. Absolutely delightful!"
"I have made this twice so far and we enjoy it very much. The last one made two days ago was with tropical fruit. I live in Ireland and love the Cooking For Two Site. Thank you again for this wonderful recipe which I will continue to make again and again."
"I have made this and it was absolute delish."