Fruit and Streusel Coffee Cakes Recipe
Give your guests their choice of flavors with this old-fashioned recipe. It makes two coffee cakes—one cherry and one apricot.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) apricot cake and pastry filling
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water. In a large bowl, combine the milk, butter, egg yolks, salt, yeast mixture, remaining sugar and 1 cup flour; beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to coat the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down.
- 3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Press each portion into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Spoon apricot filling over one pastry and cherry filling over the other.
- 4. In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over tops. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 5. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 2 coffee cakes (15 servings each).
1 piece: 301 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 168mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Fruit and Streusel Coffee Cakes
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC