Fruit and Nut Sweet Potato Casserole
Here’s a naturally sweet and comforting twist on a classic holiday dish. Fruit, cinnamon, ginger and chopped nuts make it something guests won’t soon forget! —Athena Russell, Greenville, SC
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 40 min.
Makes14 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 small bananas, peeled and chopped
- 2 large apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan or Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook just until tender, 10-15 minutes. Drain. In a large bowl, mash potatoes with apple juice and lemon juice.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute bananas and apples in butter until tender. Stir in the ginger, salt, cinnamon and allspice; cook and stir 5 minutes longer. Cool slightly.
- Place banana mixture in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Stir banana mixture and apricots into mashed potato mixture. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° until edges are golden brown, 40-50 minutes.