- 1-1/2 cups cold butter (no substitutes), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots or cherries
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons apricot nectar or maraschino cherry juice
- In a bowl, toss butter with 3 cups flour until well coated; refrigerate for 1 hour or until well chilled. In a mixing bowl, combine yeast and 1-1/2 cups flour. In a saucepan, heat the cream, sugar and salt to 120°-130°. Add to yeast mixture with the egg; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on high for 3 minutes. Stir in the chilled butter mixture just until combined (butter will remain in large pieces).
- Turn onto a well-floured surface; gently knead 8 times. Coat rolling pin with the remaining flour. Roll dough into a 21-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Starting with a short side, fold dough in thirds, forming a 12-in. x 7-in. rectangle. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until firm but not stiff.
- Turn dough onto a well-floured surface; roll into a 21-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Starting with a short side, fold dough in thirds, forming a 12-in. x 7-in. rectangle. Give dough a quarter turn; roll into a 21-in. x 12 in. rectangle. Fold into thirds, starting with a short side. Repeat, flouring surface as needed. (Do not chill dough between each rolling and folding.) Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours or until firm.
- For filling, in a saucepan, bring fruit and water to a boil. Remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes; drain. Stir in the walnuts, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; set aside.
- Cut dough in half lengthwise. Roll each portion into a 12-in. square; cut each square into nine 4-in. squares. Spoon about a rounded tablespoonful of filling onto the center of each square. Brush edges of dough with water; fold dough diagonally in half, forming a triangle. Press edges to seal. Place 4-in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375° for 16-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over turnovers. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen, 18 servings, 1 per serving.
Reviews forFruit 'n' Nut Turnovers
"Very Good. was a lot of chilling. Dough was pretty stiff and the next time I made them I added more half and half. I used 1 1/2 cup instead of 1 1/4. It was better to roll out. We all liked them. its a keeper recipe."