Frozen Strawberry Dessert Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 egg whites
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. Combine the first four ingredients; mix well. Place in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown; cool on a wire rack. Remove 1/3 cup for topping; sprinkle the remaining nut mixture into a lightly greased 13-in. x 9-in. dish.
- 2. In a saucepan, combine the egg whites, 1 tablespoon sugar, water and cream of tartar over low heat. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low speed until mixture reaches 160°. Pour into a large mixing bowl. Add strawberries, lemon juice and remaining sugar; beat on high for 8 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- 3. In another mixing bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into strawberry mixture. Transfer to the prepared dish; sprinkle with the reserved nut mixture. Cover and freeze for 6 hours or overnight. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 piece: 350 calories, 22g fat (11g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 116mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Frozen Strawberry Dessert
"First of all thank you for this recipe! This was always a favorite when my sister and I were growing up. Mom used pecan sandie cookies for the crust because she was allergic to walnuts. Can't wait to make this for my sis!"
"I live overseas and this is a recipe where I can get the ingredients in a 3rd world country and love how it tastes like back Home!"
"I LOVED this dessert. It was so good. It reminded me of those Strawberry shortcake ice cream things on a stick."