Frozen Pumpkin Mousse Parfaits
Even people who don't care for pumpkin pie rave about these frosty parfaits. The creamy, nicely spiced mousse contrasts wonderfully with the nutty toffee "crunch" pieces. —Jane Liska, Harbor Springs, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + freezing
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup brickle toffee bits
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 10 large egg yolks, beaten
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/4 cup dark rum or 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a small bowl, combine the walnuts, toffee bits, brown sugar and butter. Press into a thin layer on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10-13 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Break into small pieces.
- In a large saucepan, combine 1-1/2 cups whipping cream and sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in the pumpkin, rum, cinnamon, vanilla, ginger, salt and nutmeg. Transfer to a large bowl. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Press waxed paper onto surface of pudding; refrigerate until chilled.
- In a small bowl, beat 1 cup cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into pumpkin mixture.
- In each of eight dessert dishes, layer 4 teaspoons walnut mixture and 1/2 cup mousse; repeat layers. Freeze for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, in a small bowl, beat remaining cream until stiff peaks form. Garnish parfaits with whipped cream and remaining walnut mixture.
TO MAKE AHEAD: Parfaits can be frozen up to 3 days before serving. Store glazed walnuts in an airtight container. Prepare whipped cream and garnish as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 parfait: 952 calories, 66g fat (32g saturated fat), 412mg cholesterol, 383mg sodium, 84g carbohydrate (74g sugars, 6g fiber), 10g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.