Frozen Pecan Mocha Dessert
For frosty refreshment after a rich dinner, give this recipe a try. The fancy garnishes of semisweet chocolate are easy to create and make an extra-special presentation.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min. + freezing
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- MOCHA CREAM:
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in pecans. Spread into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In the top of a double boiler set over simmering water, beat the egg yolks, coffee and sugar until thick and mixture reads 160°, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate and vanilla until smooth.
- Quickly transfer to a bowl; place in ice water and stir for 2 minutes. Beat whipping cream until soft peaks form; fold into chocolate mixture. Pour into crust. Cover and freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
- For garnishes, place melted chocolate in a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe designs onto waxed paper. Chill until firm, about 10 minutes. In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar; beat until soft peaks form.
- Remove pie from the freezer 10 minutes before serving. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove sides of springform pan. Using a large star tip, pipe whipped cream around edges; add chocolate garnish.
Originally published as Frozen Mocha Pie in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.