Frozen Pecan Mocha Dessert
For frosty refreshment after a rich dinner, give this recipe a try. The fancy garnishes of semisweet chocolate are easy to create and make an extra-special presentation.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min. + freezing
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- MOCHA CREAM:
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in pecans. Spread into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In the top of a double boiler set over simmering water, beat the egg yolks, coffee and sugar until thick and mixture reads 160°, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate and vanilla until smooth.
- Quickly transfer to a bowl; place in ice water and stir for 2 minutes. Beat whipping cream until soft peaks form; fold into chocolate mixture. Pour into crust. Cover and freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
- For garnishes, place melted chocolate in a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe designs onto waxed paper. Chill until firm, about 10 minutes. In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar; beat until soft peaks form.
- Remove pie from the freezer 10 minutes before serving. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove sides of springform pan. Using a large star tip, pipe whipped cream around edges; add chocolate garnish.