Put summer on freeze and enjoy a slice of sweet bliss. With all the flavors of paradise, this pie whisks you away to a tropical staycation. —Mavis Gannello, Oak Park, Illinois
Recommended: 25 Cool Ice Cream Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups crumbled soft macaroon cookies
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1/2 gallon butter pecan ice cream, softened
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350°. Sprinkle cookie crumbs onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely. Increase oven temperature to 400°.
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup juice; set pineapple aside. In a small bowl, combine cookie crumbs and reserved juice until crumbly; set aside and refrigerate 3 tablespoons for topping.
- Press remaining crumb mixture onto the bottom and 1 in. up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. springform pan. Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine ice cream, pineapple and nuts; spread over crust. Cover and freeze until firm.
- Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Remove sides of pan. Spread whipped topping over top. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Frozen Macaroon Dessert in Simple & Delicious August/September 2011, p38