Frozen Cranberry Pie
"Like everyone else, I like desserts but don't need the calories," says Julie Meyer of Madison, Wisconsin. "I make this pie for my roommates, and they never complain...they just gobble it up!"
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + freezing
- 1 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 5 cups reduced-fat vanilla ice cream, softened
- 4 to 5 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1/2 cup crushed chocolate wafers (about 9 wafers)
- 16 fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 8 orange peel strips
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a bowl, whisk cranberry sauce and orange zest until blended. Fold in ice cream and food coloring if desired. Cover and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle crushed wafers in a 9-in. pie plate coated with cooking spray. Freeze for 10 minutes. Spoon ice cream mixture into pie plate. Cover and freeze 4 hours or until firm. Toss cranberries and orange peel in sugar. Remove pie from freezer 10-15 minutes before cutting. Garnish with sugared cranberries and orange peel.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 209 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 117mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Frozen Cranberry Pie in Light & Tasty October/November 2004