Frozen Cranberry Pie with Candied Almonds
It's so convenient to prepare part of a holiday feast in advance. This frosty, ginger-spiced delight goes in the freezer overnight and is ready to enjoy the next day. —Rosemary Johnson, Irondale, Alabama
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + freezing
- 24 gingersnap cookies
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant French vanilla pudding mix
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen French vanilla whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, divided
- 1 teaspoon chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Arrange cookies around the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate, cutting cookies if necessary to fit.
- In a small bowl, combine milk and pudding mixes. Stir in the cranberry sauce, 1/2 cup whipped topping, 1/3 cup almonds, ginger and almond extract. Pour into prepared pie plate; chill for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a small heavy skillet, melt butter. Add remaining almonds; cook over medium heat until nuts are toasted, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar. Cook and stir for 2-4 minutes or until sugar is melted. Spread on foil to cool.
- Spread remaining whipped topping over filling; sprinkle with almonds. Cover and freeze overnight.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 413 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 504mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Gingered Cranberry Pie with Candied Almonds in Country Woman Christmas 2009