It's so convenient to prepare part of a holiday feast in advance. This frosty, ginger-spiced delight goes in the freezer overnight and is ready to enjoy the next day. —Rosemary Johnson, Irondale, Alabama
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 24 gingersnap cookies
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant French vanilla pudding mix
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen French vanilla whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, divided
- 1 teaspoon chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Arrange cookies around the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate, cutting cookies if necessary to fit.
- In a small bowl, combine milk and pudding mixes. Stir in the cranberry sauce, 1/2 cup whipped topping, 1/3 cup almonds, ginger and almond extract. Pour into prepared pie plate; chill for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a small heavy skillet, melt butter. Add remaining almonds; cook over medium heat until nuts are toasted, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar. Cook and stir for 2-4 minutes or until sugar is melted. Spread on foil to cool.
- Spread remaining whipped topping over filling; sprinkle with almonds. Cover and freeze overnight. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Frozen Cranberry Pie with Candied Almonds in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2009, p58