"Like everyone else, I like desserts but don't need the calories," says Julie Meyer of Madison, Wisconsin. "I make this pie for my roommates, and they never complain...they just gobble it up!"
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 5 cups reduced-fat vanilla ice cream, softened
- 4 to 5 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1/2 cup crushed chocolate wafers (about 9 wafers)
- 16 fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 8 orange peel strips
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a bowl, whisk cranberry sauce and orange peel until blended. Fold in ice cream and food coloring if desired. Cover and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle crushed wafers in a 9-in. pie plate coated with cooking spray. Freeze for 10 minutes. Spoon ice cream mixture into pie plate. Cover and freeze 4 hours or until firm. Toss cranberries and orange peel in sugar. Remove pie from freezer 10-15 minutes before cutting. Garnish with sugared cranberries and orange peel. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Frozen Cranberry Pie in Light & Tasty October/November 2004, p60