Frozen Chocolate Mint Pie Recipe
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 1 square (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Dash salt
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1-1/3 cups whipping cream, whipped
- 1. In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Spread onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased and floured 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Bake at 275° for 1 hour. Turn off oven and do not open door; let meringue cool completely inside the oven.
- 2. For chocolate sauce, in heavy saucepan, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Stir in sugar and evaporated milk. Cook over low heat for 45-60 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in extracts and salt. Cool to room temperature.
- 3. Spread ice cream into meringue crust. Fold whipped cream into cooled chocolate sauce. Spread over ice cream layer; freeze until firm. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 435 calories, 20g fat (13g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (57g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Frozen Chocolate Mint Pie
"I was reading this recipe today. Do you really cook the fudge sauce for 45 to 60 minues? That sounds like much too much time.Thanks,Caroline"