- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 1 square (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Dash salt
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1-1/3 cups whipping cream, whipped
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Spread onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased and floured 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Bake at 275° for 1 hour. Turn off oven and do not open door; let meringue cool completely inside the oven.
- For chocolate sauce, in heavy saucepan, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Stir in sugar and evaporated milk. Cook over low heat for 45-60 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in extracts and salt. Cool to room temperature.
- Spread ice cream into meringue crust. Fold whipped cream into cooled chocolate sauce. Spread over ice cream layer; freeze until firm. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forFrozen Chocolate Mint Pie
"I was reading this recipe today. Do you really cook the fudge sauce for 45 to 60 minues? That sounds like much too much time.Thanks,Caroline"