- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound dark or milk chocolate candy coating, melted
- Confectioners' sugar icing, optional
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the flour, oats, extracts and salt; mix well.
- Roll out dough to 1/4-in thickness. Cut with a 3-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter; place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes. Spread warm cookies with candy coating; cool. Decorate with icing if desired. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forFrosted Valentine Cookies
"I've made this recipe several times and enjoy the unique vanilla & almond flavoring as well as the texture with the oatmeal. I've frosed them by melting chocolate chips or by using the traditional butter-cream frosting. Both are good!"
"I think EVERYTHING is special about these cookies!! Everyone I've given them to has asked for the recipe. I make them all year round, even using a pastry cutter and cutting into diamond or rectangular shapes when I am in a hurry. Love the quick oats and the slight hint of almond flavoring. I think they are delicious."
"Nothing special about these cookies. Tasted like they came from a tube."