- 2 cups butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound semisweet or milk chocolate confectionery coating, melted
- Confectioners' sugar icing, optional
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add flour, oats, extracts and salt; mix well.
- Roll out dough to 1/4-in thickness. Cut with a 3-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter; place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes. While cookies are warm, spread melted chocolate on tops. Cool. Using a pastry tube, decorate with confectioners' sugar icing if desired. Yield: 21 servings.
Reviews forFrosted Valentine Cookies
"I've made this recipe several times and enjoy the unique vanilla & almond flavoring as well as the texture with the oatmeal. I've frosed them by melting chocolate chips or by using the traditional butter-cream frosting. Both are good!"
"I think EVERYTHING is special about these cookies!! Everyone I've given them to has asked for the recipe. I make them all year round, even using a pastry cutter and cutting into diamond or rectangular shapes when I am in a hurry. Love the quick oats and the slight hint of almond flavoring. I think they are delicious."
"Nothing special about these cookies. Tasted like they came from a tube."