Frosted Spice Cutouts
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons water
- Red and green paste food coloring, optional
- In a bowl, cream butter, oil and sugar. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Beat in milk. Divide dough in half. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight (dough will be soft). On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion at a time to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut into desired shapes. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks. For frosting, beat confectioners' sugar and water in a bowl. Add food coloring if desired. Frost cooled cookies.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 23, 2012
Yuck! I don't even know what else to say. The dough was very strange to work with and they tasted like flour with a hint of spice. I would not recommend these and will not make them again.
Dec 18, 2011
If you like the taste of spice, its a good cookie!
Mar 29, 2010
While I was making these I knew that something wasn't right. There is way too much oil and not enough sugar in these. The oil was separating from the dough while they chilled. They were very hard to roll out because they were so sticky. The end product tasted like a pie crust with spice in it. They were not like cookies at all. Maybe the sugar and oil amounts got mixed up!