Frosted Spice Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/8 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 can (12 ounces) whipped vanilla frosting
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Combine the water, oil, vinegar and vanilla; add to dry ingredients and beat until smooth (batter will be thin).
- Pour into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Stir remaining cinnamon into frosting; spread over cake.
Editor's NoteThis recipe does not use eggs.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 283 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 261mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat, 1 fruit.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 7, 2018
Really good and really easy!
Dec 23, 2017
Very impressed with this recipe! Easy to make - a quick dry and wet mixture with no eggs..... and it is so yummy with the spices. A light cake - served it with caramel whipped cream and no frosting .
Mar 9, 2015
Cake was easy enough to make (and quick). I've been making spice cake for my husband's birthday for over 30 years. He said this one by far was the best bar none he's ever had! That's saying a lot because he would be the spice cake expert. So glad I can quit searching for the perfect recipe!
Apr 24, 2014
Very good! I made the following cinnamon buttercream frosting to go on top: 1/2 cup butter- room temp, 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 3 TBSP milk, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp cinnamon.
Mar 23, 2014
Easy, delicious, and moist. No need to drag out your mixer - it mixes up easily with a wooden spoon. I've made this cake twice. The second time I cut the nutmeg in half, because I think that spice tends to overwhelm the others. I frosted it with homemade vanilla buttercream by special request, but I'll try adding cinnamon the next time.
Oct 20, 2012
Surprisingly wonderful everyday cake. Even the prepared frosting tasted good with the extra cinnamon. Healthy and easy on the calories, too!
Oct 10, 2012
Easy, flavorful and moist. Received lots of compliments and will use it again. Thank you.
Dec 29, 2011
The whole family loved this! I made it with the 7-minute white icing recipe from the Joy of Cooking cookbook. The kids ate a piece of this with a piece of spice cake made by someone else, and this one won hands down. The other was so bland and dry in comparison.