- 1 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups diced fresh rhubarb
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Stir in rhubarb and coconut. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread over cooled cookies. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Reviews forFrosted Rhubarb Cookies
"These cookies were not what I expected- the cookies came out flat like pancakes and the frosting had too much vanilla. The flavor profiles didn't come together like I had expected. Overall a disappointing recipe"
"These are excellent cookies and moist. I have made these a few times during the summer but would like to know if anyone has used frozen rhubarb in these. If so how much did you use to keep the nice flavor? I would like to make these all year long."
"ther good but u dont taste much of the rhubarb...."
"I make this every spring/summer and there are never any left!"