Frosted Red Velvet Cookies Recipe
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 can (16 ounces) cream cheese frosting
- 1. In a microwave, melt unsweetened chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, food coloring and vanilla. Add cooled chocolate; beat until blended. In another bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Stir in chocolate chips.
- 3. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 6-9 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Spread with frosting. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews for Frosted Red Velvet Cookies
"Can these cookies be frozen (without icing)?"
"Don't understand the complaints about using prepared frosting. As long as it's good, I personally don't mind a shortcut here and there when baking!"
"I have tried a lot of red velvet cookies since they became popular a few years ago. This one is a winner! The sour cream gives them flavor and makes them moist. Highly recommend!"
"I give these 5 stars for presentation and taste, although without the frosting maybe 3 stars. Anyway, they are kind of fussy to make. The batter is very sticky."
"Very chocolatey. Also made a cream cheese frosting"
"Delicious! Made these for my hubby on Valentines Day. Like most of the other comments said, it seemed a little crazy to buy a can of frosting after taking the time to make homeade cookies, so I used a cream cheese recipe I like from another cookie recipe. I put a Hershey's kiss on top of each cookie!"
"The Cream Cheese frosting is easy to make from scratch. Use ¼ cup softened butter, 4 ounces of softened cream cheese, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 cups confectioner's sugar. Mix the butter with the cream cheese and the vanilla extract until it is smooth. Add the confectioner's sugar in half-cup increments until the frosting is of proper spreading consistency. (You'll use all, or almost all, of the sugar.) Give the remaining frosting in bowl to your favorite person."
"I was looking for something different and special for Valentine cookies and this is IT. I made my own frosting and sprinkled Wilton's special hearts mix on them and they are beautiful . And yummy. Thanks for the recipe and your great timing. I hate making cut out cookies and this was so easy. Thank you , thank you, thank you."