Frosted Pumpkin Bars
"My health-conscious granddaughter, Jennifer, gave me the recipe for these nicely spiced bars," relates Dovie Sears of Shepherdsville, Kentucky.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Stir in the egg, egg whites, pumpkin, oil and water until well blended.
- Transfer to an 11x7-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and lemon zest. Frost bars. Chill for 15 minutes before cutting. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 185 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 146mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Frosted Pumpkin Bars in Light & Tasty October/November 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.