Frosted Pumpkin Bars
"My health-conscious granddaughter, Jennifer, gave me the recipe for these nicely spiced bars," relates Dovie Sears of Shepherdsville, Kentucky.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Stir in the egg, egg whites, pumpkin, oil and water until well blended.
- Transfer to an 11x7-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and lemon zest. Frost bars. Chill for 15 minutes before cutting. Store in the refrigerator.