- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- In a mixing bowl, cream peanut butter, shortening and brown sugar. beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Add milk; mix well. Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool.
- For frosting, in a mixing bowl, cream peanut butter, shortening and confectioners' sugar. Gradually beat in enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Frost bars. Melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over frosting. Refrigerate. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews forFrosted Peanut Butter Bars
"Very good! I took pcronk's advice and sprinkled mini chocolate chips on top instead of the topping. Also used butter-flavored shortening."
"Too much shortening. I thought it had trans fat in it!"
"This is one of my favorite recipes! It was in the TOH cookbook received as a wedding gift. SO rich but SO good! Love the dense brownie-like texture. I usually don't put the drizzle on."
"Made this recipe many times for the residents at the Assisted Living Facility I worked at.... they were a hit with young and old alike!!!!"
"Reminds me of the bars that we had in the school cafeteria. Yummy!! Even my hubby liked them and he is picky. Will definitely make for a family get together."
"I made these for a Christmas party this past Saturday. I cut the bars into mini squares and they not only made a great presentation but they were delicious!"
"Totally delicious, and I also would make them again using butter instead of margarine. That being said, these bars have half! the calories of the "Make-over Peanut Butter Bars" that were supposed to be better for you. That makes these extra good in my opinion!"
"Well like I said;;I make these again;but this time I added chocolate chips to filling;talkabout super yummy."
"Well, you can't go wrong with that combo. YUMMMY!!!"