Frosted Meat Loaf
Our children have all "flown the nest", but my husband and I still enjoy this easy-to-make meat loaf. It has a taste like shepherd's pie (only better!).—Doris Ratcliff, Souffville, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour 5 min.
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 pound lean ground pork
- 1/4 pound fully cooked ground ham
- 2 cups hot mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, bread crumbs, onion, salt, pepper and paprika. Add ground beef, pork and ham; mix well. Pat meat mixture into a 7-1/2x3-3/4x2-1/4-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Drain. Invert meat loaf onto a heat-proof platter.
- In a bowl, combine frosting ingredients. Cover top and sides of meat loaf with frosting mixture. Place under a preheated broiler; broil until lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 252 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 641mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Frosted Meat Loaf in Country Ground Beef