Frosted Ginger Creams Recipe
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup water
- 1-1/2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1. In a large mixing bowl cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with water (dough will be soft).
- 2. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 7-8 minutes or until tops are cracked. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and enough lemon juice to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cookies. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 4 dozen.
2 each: 130 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 100mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Frosted Ginger Creams
"these are a 5 star recipe if you change the shortening to butter the sugar to dark brown sugar and the water to buttermilk"