These tasty bars have wonderful flavor from the molasses, ginger and cinnamon. They remind me of old-fashioned goodness.—Vivian Clark, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture alternately with water mixing well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Spread over cooled bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 78 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 72mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Frosted Creams in Country Woman May/June 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.