VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package fudge brownie mix (13-inch x 9-inch pan size)
- 1/2 cup white baking chips
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Prepare brownies according to package directions for cakelike brownies; fold in white chips. Spread half of the batter in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg, flour and orange extract.
- Carefully spread cream cheese mixture over batter. Drop remaining brownie batter by tablespoonfuls over cream cheese layer. Cut through batter with a knife to swirl.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out almost clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Cool slightly; stir in confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Frost brownies. Yield: 16 brownies.
Originally published as Cream Cheese Brownies in Taste of Home August/September 2003, p50
Reviews forFrosted Cream Cheese Brownies
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 27, 2011
"The only brands of brownie mix I will ever use is either Betty Crocker or Hershey's. If one of those is used, this recipe will knock your socks off."