Frosted Chocolate Sheet Cake
Nothing is as wonderful as a homemade chocolate cake. It is fancy enough to serve to guests and will be sure to impress them.—Mary Lewis, Escondido, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat in chocolate until combined.
- Pour into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 23-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, bring cocoa and milk to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla until butter is melted. Whisk in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Drizzle over cake and spread quickly. Let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 388 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 331mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Favorite Chocolate Sheet Cake in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2nd Edition
May 11, 2012
I have made this cake several times and it is always a hit. I love being able to tell people that I made it from scratch.
Jun 12, 2011
Very good, I would make it again.