Frosted Chocolate Cherry Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, cocoa, 1/4 teaspoon salt, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- Drain cherries, reserving 1-1/2 teaspoons juice. Pat cherries dry. Shape 1 tablespoon of dough around each cherry. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool on wire racks.
- For frosting, in a saucepan, heat chocolate chips and milk until chips are melted; stir until smooth. Remove from the heat. Add reserved cherry juice and remaining salt. Frost cookies.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 275 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 187mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 5, 2016
I made these for the first time several years ago. I made them again last week and now wonder why I don't make them all the time! It's the most delicious chewy brownie outside with a cherry center! These are awesome.
Aug 19, 2011
When I was in Home Econonics class we made cookies similiar to these but we dipped them in pink icing which shaped them like candy kisses and they were called "Pink Surprises". I loaned by recipe book and it was never returned. These were the best cookies and so pretty. I will have to make these and see how close they come to the recipe I lost.