Cherries, nuts and chocolate chips peek out of these bars, making them impossible for folks to stop at trying just one. With their pretty look, they're especially nice to have on hand during the holidays.
Recommended: 70 Homemade Baked Goods that Start with Cake Mix
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup mixed nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup halved maraschino cherries
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in nuts, cherries and chocolate chips. Spread into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Add milk and vanilla. Remove from the heat; beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Frost warm bars. Cool on a wire rack before cutting. Yield: about 6 dozen.
Originally published as Frosted Cherry Nut Bars in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p80