Frosted Carrot Mini Muffins
These delicate muffins, developed by the Country Woman home economists, feature the sweet goodness of carrots and coconut topped with rich, citrusy frosting. Young and old alike will love them and definitely ask for seconds...and thirds.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup mashed cooked carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon orange juice
- 1 to 2 teaspoons whole milk
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, carrots and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture just until combined. Stir in coconut.
- Fill greased or paper-lined miniature muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, cream the butter, confectioners' sugar, orange zest and juice until light and fluffy; add enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Frost muffins.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 170 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 126mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Carrot Cookies in Country Woman Christmas 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.