Frosted Butterfly Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 individual cream-filled sponge cake
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- Red shoestring licorice
- Assorted candies of your choice
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions, using two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cut one cake in half widthwise. (Save the second cake for another use.) Cut a notch from the center of each cut side to define outer edges of wings. Cut corners of wings so they are slightly rounded. Let cake stand for 2 hours.
- On a serving platter, position cake halves on each side of sponge cake. Frost top and sides of butterfly with chocolate frosting. Cut licorice into two small pieces; push ends into top of sponge cake for antennae. Decorate with candies.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 20, 2015
Use to make this cake 30 years ago for my children. I used yellow frosting and coconut. Good color to start spring off with.
Sep 12, 2013
Sep 10, 2013
Good recipe .. really
Dec 5, 2009
I made this last week for my great niece's 7th birthday. I added sprinkles to detail and outline the wings. She loved it.