Frosted Butterfly Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 individual cream-filled sponge cake
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- Red shoestring licorice
- Assorted candies of your choice
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions, using two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cut one cake in half widthwise. (Save the second cake for another use.) Cut a notch from the center of each cut side to define outer edges of wings. Cut corners of wings so they are slightly rounded. Let cake stand for 2 hours.
- On a serving platter, position cake halves on each side of sponge cake. Frost top and sides of butterfly with chocolate frosting. Cut licorice into two small pieces; push ends into top of sponge cake for antennae. Decorate with candies.
Mar 20, 2015
Use to make this cake 30 years ago for my children. I used yellow frosting and coconut. Good color to start spring off with.
Sep 12, 2013
Sep 10, 2013
Good recipe .. really
Dec 5, 2009
I made this last week for my great niece's 7th birthday. I added sprinkles to detail and outline the wings. She loved it.