- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 1 individual cream-filled sponge cake
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- Red shoestring licorice
- Assorted candies of your choice
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cut one cake in half widthwise. (Save the second cake for another use or make two butterflies.) Cut a notch from the center of each cut side to show definition between the upper and lower wings. Let cake stand for 2 hours.
- On a round platter, position cake halves (with notched edges facing out) on each side of sponge cake. With a knife, cut the corners of wings so they are rounded. Frost top and sides of butterfly with chocolate frosting.
- Cut licorice into two small pieces; push ends into top of sponge cake for antennae. Decorate with assorted candies. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forFrosted Butterfly Cake
"Use to make this cake 30 years ago for my children. I used yellow frosting and coconut. Good color to start spring off with."
"Good recipe .. really"
"I made this last week for my great niece's 7th birthday. I added sprinkles to detail and outline the wings. She loved it."