Frijoles y Chorizo
—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 2 poblano peppers
- 2 serrano peppers
- 6 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 pound uncooked chorizo, casing removed
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- 2. Place peppers on a baking sheet; broil 4 in. from the heat until skins blister, about 4 minutes. With tongs, rotate peppers a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place peppers in a bowl; cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin. Remove stems and seeds. Chop peppers and set aside.
- 3. Drain and rinse pinto beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to the Dutch oven. Add 6 cups water and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- 4. Meanwhile, crumble chorizo into a skillet; cook over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until fully cooked. Drain and set aside. In the same skillet, melt lard. Add onion and reserved peppers; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes.
- 5. Add the chorizo, pepper mixture and salt to beans. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Just before serving, stir in cilantro.
© 2019 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC